Why I do not recommend SCM Music Player and Wikplayer

At first, I thought these two were fab music players for Tumblr, considering their ease of use, customisation options and seamless play across pages.

I still think these features make these players the best choices that are out there, at this time. However, they both have one significant flaw in the code, that makes them override the screen position of the browser’s content area in tumblelogs (tested in Firefox and IE).

You can see in the images below what this looks like:

image

image

image

Because of this problem, I have looked around for an alternative player as a replacement.

Thus far, the best one I have found is TotallyPlayer by ThemesLtd.

TotallyPlayer operates very similar to SCM Music Player and Wikplayer, but it does have a few limitations:

First of all, the skins are basically all textured, with no custom CSS option, meaning it’s nearly impossible to find any player that has a solid colour or anything close. In addition, the song info display is limited, meaning that long strings of text will not display properly.

Also, I noticed that my MP3 links are always cut in the final code, meaning that I have to edit the code to replace the links before I can use it.

If you can get past these few quirks, however, you will have a player that looks alright, features seamless play, and does not mess up the rendition of any page on your blog.

I have currently implemented TotallyPlayer player on this blog, if you want to see how it looks and works live. The skin I chose for this player can be found under the Stripes Music Players section.

butt-berry

butt-berry:

If you post someone else’s art you found online and you don’t fill in this box

image

you are an asshole no exceptions

Well, I wouldn’t put it exactly that way, but I do strongly agree that the Content source field is necessary, particularly if the true origin of the work can be attributed.

I would personally not bother to fill this field if an image was simply discovered on a random third-party site. However, I would bother to try to track its origin on the web.

When I track an image of an unknown origin, I use the search by image function in Google Image, and the reverse image search engine TinEye.

In Google Image, the search results will list every indexed website that contains the image, which usually makes it quick to filter out what is not the common wallpaper collection, forum post or general blog post.

Sometimes, though, an image may have flourished among hundreds of websites, making it nearly impossible to track its origin. In these cases, however, TinEye has the advantage of being able to sort results by date, so that the earliest instances of the image being crawled can be listed first.

Lastly, if your efforts ultimately fail, it might be helpful to add an annotation somewhere, like ‘credit unknown’ or ‘credit not found’. This might encourage someone who knows about the origin of the work to share a word.

Just my perspective, anyway.

There was this dream last night… I was rescued from an accident by someone, and there was this beautiful love connection with him. But in spite of my heart’s desire to connect with him, he would only dodge me and flee… Such a heartbreaking dream…